Covington Student’s Attorney Prepping To Sue Activist Nathan Phillips For Defamation

0 486

Atlanta-based attorney L. Lin Wood is representing Nick Sandmann, the Covington Catholic High School student who was smeared by the media, celebrities, pundits, politicians, and leftists in general over a confrontation with a Native American activist named Nathan Phillips. Wood is now stating that Phillips will be sued for defamation over lying about the teen.

Wood spoke with Life Site News and told them of the impending lawsuit against Phillips for his “lies and false accusations” against the Covington Catholic students and Sandmann in particular. He also told them that he would “file the first round of civil lawsuits within the next two weeks.” Phillips may be the first to be sued, but he won’t be the last. There is a long list of those who will see legal proceedings over this and that list is growing daily.

Todd V. McMurtry, a Ft. Mitchell, KY attorney, is also representing Sandmann and his parents. Doug Schloemer, a Ft. Mitchell, KY attorney, represents a number of other students and Robert Barnes, a California attorney, is also representing families and students of Covington High School.

Sandmann and his family retained a pair of high-powered attorneys known for winning defamation suits against the media. They have already sent letters to 54 entities that include Democratic politicians, news outlets, and individual reporters. They have been notified of a potential lawsuit. That list “continues to grow in number,” Wood told LifeSite, adding that Sandmann’s attorneys are “in the process of sending formal written retraction demands in conformity with statutes in states in which litigation may be filed.”

Wood and his firm have already released a devastating fifteen-minute video that proves Sandmann’s innocence and slam-dunks the defamation charges against Phillips. It showcases the smears and lies perpetrated against the Covington boys by the media and others.

LifeSite asked Wood why Sandmann and the other Covington Catholic students were still being investigated by the Diocese of Covington. That’s a great question and another instance where legal action is highly warranted.

“We have no idea why the investigation by the Diocese has not been concluded but we are confident that any objective review of the evidence will conclude that Nick did nothing wrong,” Wood responded. “Nick remained calm and well-mannered despite being confronted by an activist beating a drum within inches of his face while chanting loudly. Nick did not utter one word except to quietly urge a classmate to refrain from making any comments that might aggravate the situation created by Phillips and the Black Hebrew Israelites.”

Sandmann and other students were initially barred from returning to school after the encounter, but the school relented after attorneys stepped in. They also apologized I believe, but that won’t absolve them from legal action. Sandmann was kept out longer than the others:

“…his return was only allowed on February 1 after his lawyers made clear to the school that we would not tolerate Nick being isolated and singled out based on specious claims that he first needed to give a statement to the school without his counsel in attendance and that there were ongoing security concerns (all other students had already been allowed to return to classes). On Saturday, January 19, Nick provided the school principal with an unsolicited email describing the incident. Nick had also previously released a 3-page, detailed statement concerning the incident.”

From The Daily Wire:

“Phillips’ smear of the Covington Catholic students — and especially Sandmann — is “well documented,” as Wood told Life Site. Phillips initially told The Washington Post that the teenagers surrounded him as he was simply trying to get out of a bad situation and proceed to the Lincoln Memorial. Once video showed that it was Phillips who approached the teenagers — and not the other way around — he changed his story to claim the Covington teens were engaged in a racist back-and-forth with some Black Hebrew Israelites.

“Further video showed that it was the Hebrew Israelites who were harassing the teenagers, who then began singing school songs to drown out the harassment. Phillips then walked into the middle of the group and began beating his drum just inches from Sandmann’s face, as the student smiled. Phillips then claimed that he believed there would be violence between the Catholic teens and the Hebrew Israelites and that his idea to defuse the situation was to … walk into a large group of teenagers and beat a drum in one’s face while his fellow activists told the teenagers to “go back to Europe.”

“Wood confirmed on Twitter that he would be suing Phillips.

“Nathan Phillips will be sued for his defamatory lies,” Wood said.”

This is just the beginning and a lot of people who rushed to destroy a bunch of teens simply for wearing MAGA hats are going to pay for their viciousness.

Sources: The Daily Wire, Life Site News, TheBlaze

You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.