“Indian Burns” are Racist, So School Kids Are Burning Each Other With Aerosols
One student switched schools after the aerosol burn only to find that the fad was there, too.
Mother Jamie Prescott, 42, says that her 15-year-old Ellie is being considered for a skin graft after being burned with spray-on deodorant by her classmates. The Prescotts live in England, and Ellie suffered second degree burns on her arm that still have not healed over after nearly a month.
Elle’s mother shared photos of the wound on her daughter’s arm to social media, warning about the “Deodorant Challenge” making the rounds. While Elle has been wearing her bandage:
“Other children have asked what’s wrong with her arm but they have also had it done and show their scars [too].”
Despite moving from one school to another in Bristol, which is in southwestern England, the “game” is being played at both spots.
There have always been fads around schools that usually involve some kind of painful test, whether it’s eating worms or Indian burns or bloody knuckles, but the addition of an aerosol is causing real, lasting damage. When I was in school, one of the “challenges” was to dare each other to eat very sour candy, but nobody ended up bleeding from it.
Generally it’s good for kids to learn their limits. It’s better to fall off the monkey bars when you’re young in order to learn that about gravity, but these spray cans are going further.
Mom Shares Photos on Social Media
On Friday, Elle’s mother Jamie shared photos of her daughter’s weeping wounds on Facebook and included a few warnings, saying that she wants to spread the message that this is the current “game” going around schools and that kids are unaware of the long lasting damage that a spray can inflict, asking parents to sit down with their children to show them the photos and discuss “the damaging results of something known as The Deodorant Challenge.’
In the post, Prescott says:
“…[it] involved spraying deodorant on to someone else for as long as possible… It’s that simple and results in severe secondary burns. [These pictures] or are my [15-year-old] daughter’s are THREE WEEKS ON which may still as yet require a skin graft.”
There are over 3,700 shares on the post, along with hundreds of comments, some from others showing old scares from sprays.
Here are some of the responses:
“Unbelievable stupid cold burns are worse that hot ones. The cold burn carries on and does so much damage under the skin.
What hell are they thinking”
“Your poor daughter I hope it clears up and she doesn’t need a graft. I will be showing this to my 11 years old son and explaining the dangers. Unfortunately this sort of thing has happened for years I’m 46 it was Chinese burns and chicken scratches when I was at school.”
Here are some of the comments confirming that spray wounds are everywhere, with some people tagging in the names of other people asking how their own wounds were healing:
“They are called frostys over here”
[NAME TAGGED IN] you done this to me in school once its still on my arm ??”
“mg my daughter done this a few year ago I was so angry”
A few days ago, Elle — or Eloise — posted a thank you to everyone on the post, saying that she was not the one who sprayed herself, and that “hopefully it will not lead to a skin graft.”
Spray Deodorant VS Old Perfumes
In recent years, brands like Axe had built up a reputation of being the first spray owned — and oversprayed — by growing boys in middle and high schools. Teachers complain about “The Lynx Effect” and the “Axe Effect” — in reference to two popular brands that market towards boys — saying that the smell overpowers classrooms.
According to Allergy United Kingdom, “symptoms are easily aggravated by perfumed products and exacerbated by aerosol chemicals” when others have sensitivities including asthma.
Myself, I notice that people aren’t bothered by the pricey smelly things because they’re more likely to use natural ingredients, but cheap sprays cause an issue. But where perfumes were once made of animal products, the practice of using animal-based oils became too expensive with environmentalist concerns and companies switched to cheaper synthetics. And it’s the cheap synthetics that have been introduced since the 1970s that seems to be causing trouble. The reason you never heard about allergies in the 1950s and 1960s is because the scented products were real.
Sources: Fox News, Facebook, Daily Mail