THIS Hospital Report Blames Patient’s Fart for Surgical Fire

0 144

One of Tokyo’s “finest” hospitals thought they were successful in their “new-age” techy surgery room, but, little did they know, that one fart was right around the corner, ready to ruin their reputation. It’s hard not to chuckle when you read about this poor unfortunate soul’s awful hospital experience.

A woman(who prefers to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) in her 30s was left screaming in agony after a fire burnt most of her body, waist, and legs during a medical procedure. The hospital uses robots to carry out surgery, and apparently they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet. The patient was badly burnt after she farted.
The unnamed woman, in her 30s, underwent surgery at Tokyo Medical University Hospital which involved a laser being applied to her cervix.

Unfortunately, as the operation proceeded in the Shinjuku Ward she passed wind, sparking a fire, according to Japanese newspaper The Ashai Shimbun.

She was left sizzling and screaming in agony after the fire burnt most of her body, waist, and legs, according to reports.

The horrifying event happened on April 15 this year at the hospital in the Japanese capital.

It has just come to light this week after a committee of external experts examined the case.

The committee released a report on Saturday that stated no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery and that equipment was functioning normally.

It concluded: “When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”

The Tokyo Medical University Hospital is an acute care facility that claims to be the only facility in Japan to carry out surgery using robots.

The resulting fire burned much of the patient’s body, but no details are provided about her condition. “This happens,” writes a commenter at Reddit who claims to be a surgeon’s assistant. “Not the first instance of it a long time either.” The Washington Post explains that it’s the methane and hydrogen in a person’s gas that makes it potentially flammable, though “it’s difficult to overstate how minuscule the chance of that normal bodily function causing a problem truly is.”

Next time you go into surgery, make sure you don’t have a pot of beans the night before for dinner, just a tip.

You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.