CJ Pearson started an interest in politics in the 2nd grade at the age of 8. Now 12 years old and in middle school, CJ is active in Georgia state politics and is making waves on the national level!
Most recently, his YouTube video, President Obama: Do you really love America?, went viral:
It has received 1.2 million hits, appeared in countless blogs, and even reached The Drudge Report!
He has even been “Twitter blocked” by Atlanta’s Mayor Kasim Reed for voicing his opinion of a highly controversial decision the Mayor had made. Now that is a proud achievement!
In an exclusive interview, I asked CJ about his background in politics, how he is received by his peers, and his future:
1. You became interested in politics at 8 years of age. What sparked your interest in politics at such an early age?
During the second grade, my teacher hosted a presidential mock election. Of course, the two candidates were Barack Obama and John McCain. After researching Senator McCain, I found out that while serving during the Vietnam War, Senator McCain was held as a prisoner of war. To me, if a man is willing to give up his life for his country, serve his country with every bit of strength he possesses, then that is a man I’m willing to support for President! Ever since then, I’ve been hooked on politics.
2. Most boys your age are spending their free time playing video games and sports, What is it about politics that keeps you motivated?
The biggest thing in politics that motivates me is the ability to make a difference in your community, state, and nation. Being in politic has taught me an awful lot about government and the way it operates and has also opened many doors for myself, which I am entirely thankful for.
3. Most of your peers are not aware of the majority of the political issues that you are well versed in. How have your friends reacted to your involvement in the world of politics.
For the most part, my friends are amazed at my interest in politics. While we tend to not discuss political matters, they are definitely aware of my views and sometimes I even catch them making a few Obama jabs!
4. Again, most of your peers are not aware of the majority of the political issues that you are well versed in. How do we get the younger generation involved?
To get the younger generation involved in the political arena will take education. Both parties must take strides to educate young people on the values of each party and what exactly they stand for. Secondly, members of both parties must make an effort to be inclusive to the younger generation and ensure that their voice is heard.
5. Your parents are both Democrats. Wow have they reacted to your recent recognition for your activism on the national level?
I would say their feelings about it are rather mixed. While of course they support my political activism, I guarantee you they disagree with me wholeheartedly!
6. You are in the process of pushing an Amendment to lower the ages to be elected to the Georgia statehouse. What are your political ambitions in the future?
One day, I plan to seek office, which office that is…well that’s up for discussion. I do hope to one day be Governor of the great state of Georgia and maybe even President, if the great people of America decide to elect me.
7. Hypothetical question. You are running for President of the US in the Republican Primary. What is your platform? What are the main issues that you put forward to win?
My platform would be simple but direct. First, we need to reign in our out of control government and return the power to the states and the people, as our founding fathers intended. Secondly, we need to ensure that we pass a balanced budget amendment. The wasteful spending of previous generations should have no bearing on future generations and this amendment would cushion that burden. Thirdly, I would push for a strong America. A bold America. A united America.
I am very much looking forward to watching this young man as he continues to grow and become more involved. Listen to CJ plead with the GOP to educate more young people about the basic conservative values of the Republican Party! That is how we will win in the future!
Like CJ’s Facebook Page!
Follow CJ on Twitter!