Joe & Mr. Ags go to a Gun Buyback Program

On Saturday, June 8th, the City of Toledo, along with the Mayor’s Coalition of Hope, sponsored a cash-for-firearms program at People’s Missionary Baptist Church in Toledo, OH.  So, what better way for Joe and Mr. Ags to spend a sunny Saturday than to witness this event for ourselves (and maybe score a couple of good buys while we are at it).  When we arrived we noticed that all four corners of the intersection of where the church was located at were already being occupied by supports of the 2nd Amendment (and capitalism).  A few of the individuals that had showed up to buy guns were told they couldn’t be there by the event organizers, but Toledo Police told them they could still purchase firearms as long as they didn’t interfere with the event.  Apparently more than a few people thought they could get $50 for their BB guns, only to find out that they’d take them, but for no money.   We talked with these buyers about what they had seen so far and a majority of it was what I had expected, rough, well-used firearms.  One gentleman did bring in two beautiful S&W 357s and walked right in to the church basement with them to get his $100.  Mr. Ags wept.

The event was very peaceful, as would be expected.   In my opinion, the police presence was  a little overkill.  I counted at least 18 officers outside and another 10 inside the church.  Being curious, I ventured into the basement of the church to see what material they were handing out on gun safety and gun prevention.  You are correct in assuming the NRA had not donated any material to this event.  There was a table tucked off to the side with two sheets of paper on “Gun Safety While Hunting” and the “12 Golden Rules of Gun Safety” (rule #5 was my favorite: Never point the gun at anything you don’t intend to destroy).   They did have free gun locks and information on Block Watch/other community events, but the rest of the literature was geared more toward anti-gun endeavors.  I loved the tri-fold flyer “It’s Time to STOP the Violence, Let’s Start with Weapons.”  I wasn’t aware that since I own a  firearm that I am forty times more likely to “hurt or kill” one of my family members.  I made sure to take a few extra copies of this to share with my extended family to discourage future prolonged vacations at my house.  I also learned from this flyer that there are other ways to protect myself, such as door jams, top-grade locks, an alarm system, or self-defense classes at the YMCA.  I don’t know about you, but I’m sticking with my high-capacity 9mms and my 8-shot Ithaca defense 12 gauge.  Any intruder dumb enough to enter my house with intent on harming my family should know that I prefer them to leave my house having a physical appearance similar to ground beef when the coroner arrives.

This event will do nothing to reduce gun crime in Toledo, OH, or anywhere else it is tried.  With this logic we should do alcohol buybacks to reduce DUIs, rapes, homicides, and other related crimes that involve the abuse of alcohol.  Violence and crime are a matter of the heart and soul.  Feel-good events like gun buybacks will not change that.

Mr. Ags writes for Joe for America and welcomes your feedback: @blackswampradio &  [email protected]

1. Wolfman says

turning in your gun is like giving up your money

2. DenverKitty says

“…ground beef”…love it!

3. Bart says

Wish I could remember the guy’s name, but a statistician studied gun buy backs a while back. He determined that in order to have a statistically significant chance of preventing a single gun crime, you’d have to buy back something in the neighborhood of 65,000 guns from a single average sized city. Buy backs from different locations do not have a cumulative effect, all 65,000 must come from the same locality. Now, how many gun buy backs get even a small fraction of that number?

It’s also worth noting that most of the guns turned in at these things are either worthless junk that can’t be sold for as much as they’re handing out for turned in guns, or they’re guns criminals want to get rid of, no questions asked..

1. Gail says

Bart, I believe you are talking about a famed statistician named John Lott. He wrote a number of books about stats about guns and crime. I’m reading “More Guns Less Crime” right now.

4. truthbeknown says

Going to start a savings plan so I can go the next gun buy back and pick up a few. Cant pass up a good deal. Even 100 for a good gun. wow let me get a couple.

5. James Riley says

Seen one lady that we thought might be a threat but she turned out to be a bag lady with a stick?

6. RoyG says

I wonder if the police or who ever sponsered the event is planning a spoon by back program any time soon… Im tired of gaining all this weight.. ugg

7. JOHN T. FOX says

YOUR CONCLUSION IS WELL STATED, WELL REASONED AND 100% CORRECT!

8. cardlink62 says

One more thing. I wish the more literate geniuses on here would stop nitpicking those who misspell a word or two. Have we not been dealing with computer technology enough to know that, sometimes, even when we spell a word correct, spell check misspells it for us, sometimes. And if you get the point the author is trying to make, then what difference does it make if more is spelled moor?

1. jaxtom says

Mine keeps wanting to put caps on “obama” – that shows how stupid it is!

1. Jean says

Yes, I keep telling it to put the caps IN the magic Negro…. 😉

1. jaxtom says

I thought we weren’t supposed to upset the “peaceful ones”….

9. cardlink62 says

I’m curious. I wonder how many guns the criminals/potential criminals turned in. Did any of those types turn their guns in?

10. Richard Helsel says

What you found is what I also found at the buybacks I attended.Moor antigun B/S then anything else.

1. George Gilbert says

MOOR ?? just curious

1. Richard Helsel says

Brainfart, sorry

1. George Gilbert says

I know what you meant. jes kiddinya

2. Zeon Deikun says

Are you sure, with the Islamist infiltration in our government, Moor is as good a description as any! Molon Labe!

11. Taoswheat says

Thinking gun buy backs take guns away from criminals is sort of like having a vasectomy because the neighbors have too many kids.

1. aqua71755 says

Criminals will dump guns not wanted by them any longer. The ones with murders attached, these mostly are no questioned asked buyback. This has happened already and now you have a gun with ballistics confirmed tied to a shooting and can’t use the information tied to the person that turned the gun in. What do you do? The buybacks really work (sarcasm),

12. Joe_Mosty says

You mean I can’t get 50 bucks for my rusty bb gun? Dang! I was hoping to get at least a bag o pinto beans for it. Maybe on Ebay…?
    My Daisy still makes a noise. BBs just dribbles out the barrels. Squirrels laugh at me. So does the 51%. I paid off the house. Now I can afford a real bb gun. It will have to get me whatever I’m gonna eat in O’s retirement America till I shake hands with the undertaker….

1. grassroot says

You can buy a new BB gun but the new generation Daisys are so weak

you’ll waste your money. Get a pump-up type, Crossman or similar.

1. George Gilbert says

Grass?? Do like we did as kids. Pull the keeper out, then STREEEEEEETCH the Spring. Theyd shoot through a Metal beer/soda can. Its Easy. The rear sight holds the spring inside.. HAPPY STRETCHIN

2. JOHN T. FOX says

CROSSMAN IS JUNK TOO! GET A BENJARMIN .22 CAL

3. Joe_Mosty says

I was thinking more along the lines of a 300 dollar single pump. One you don’t have to use two scope mounts to get a red dot going…