Gun Buyback Programs = Safer Streets

cash4guns4

As I perused my Inbox this morning I noticed an email advertising a gun buyback program in Toledo, OH scheduled for June 8, 2013.  I thought to myself, “Thank God, it’s about time my City do something to end gun violence once and for all.”  What better way than to do a gun buyback program where they pay $50 per handgun (limit two handguns per person), offer a Gun Education & Prevention program (not taught by the NRA), and free gun locks.  If you believe that these programs are actually effective in curbing firearm’s related violence I have a vial of unicorn blood and some prime oceanfront real estate in Fukushima, Japan to sell you.  I did like that they will be offering free gun locks as part of this program though.  That’s like having an abortion and then as you are walking out of the clinic they hand you a stroller.

I do empathize with an individual’s misguided logic that thinks these events are helpful.  After Sandy Hook I think it is fair to say that no matter what side of the gun debate you stood on that you were saddened and angry at what happened to those administrators, teachers, and children.  Non-shooters/non-strict supporters of the 2nd Amendment directed their sadness and anger into feel-good/ineffective ways to make sure an event like Sandy Hook never happened again.  Unfortunately, events like gun buyback programs have never been proven to curb violence on America’s streets.  For the most part you get honest citizens turning in their old firearms that are barley functional and probably their only form of home protection.  This is nothing more than someone placing the blindfold of ignorance over their eyes and swinging wildly at the pinata that is violence in America.  They will do more harm than good with each flailing of their crazed limbs as they repeatedly strike Liberty in their poorly executed attempt to strike the pinata.  In the end, all that is left in the room is the undamaged pinata and Liberty no longer exists.

So, if you are in Toledo on June 8th and looking for some possible good gun buys, come on out: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_rI4RX1fRmiUlN6Zm9zaGFWSm8/edit?usp=sharing&utm_source=FoT+Happenings&utm_campaign=Happening+in+May&utm_medium=email&pli=1

Mr. Ags writes for Joe for America and welcomes your feedback: @blackswampradio &  [email protected]

1. joemahoney says

I wish they would have a gun buy back thing in my area? I would offer the same amount the buyers do–and maybe come out with about 20 or more guns for my all too small collection ;-))

2. William Bondie says

Yeah, I can just imagine all the owners of legal handguns, after paying for gun safety courses, registration, background checks, and CCW permits and buying $600 or $1,000 guns, will rush in and get money for 3/4 tank of gas. Will they get a nickel for each bullet, too? Of course all the criminals will have an epiphany and turn in those stolen unregistered pieces, too.

3. Retired MSgt USAF says

Are the police doing Background checks on those persons selling these guns? I believe they are required to do so under the Gun Control Act of 1968. They are purchasing guns from the general public at a very discounted price. Sell your legal guns to the government so they can destroy them? How about getting three or four times more, if they are legal, to a licensed FFL dealer instead of some government bureaucrat? Go talk to your local Gun Dealer and get a good price for your private property and have a legal background check done on the next person who does buy that gun. Just a thought.

4. 2War Abn Vet says

If you steal a gun, and then turn it in at one of these “feel good” buybacks, that’s all pure profit, with no questions asked. It’s a better deal for a criminal than having to trust a “fence”, and all with government assistance.

1. joemahoney says

First, thank YOU for serving Sir. Next–its nice to know that when going to sell your guns to LEOs-that they cant bust you for selling to a fence ;-))

5. Hotnike says

IT HASN’T WORKED ANYWHERE AS FAR AS I KNOW!

6. David says

I went through 2 of these in the UK, please look to see what it did for us….. nothing! Oh, sorry the bad guys still have the guns, in fact hey have the guns that were handed in – yep really! Whilst I’m at it, I had quite a few guns, my collection was in the value of some 5,500-6,000 British pounds, I got back about 1,000!

Do not go this route, it’s BS, stand up for your rights, if they ban guns will they ban cars, they kill more people! It’s our sport, hobby, living – DO NOT LOSE IT !

7. jimpeel says

Violent crime follows gun control. Just as nature abhors a vacuum, the vacuum created by gun control will be filled by a willing criminal element.

8. Matt says

Logic (if that was possible to the anti-gunners) should prevail when you look at the people lined up at these gun buy backs. They are normal, tax paying, working folk; not gangster criminal types. These are not the people we should be concerned about taking guns away from.

But then, that really is the basis of the whole gun control argument. Gun control laws only affect the law abiding. The logic seems so utterly basic, yet is so far beyond the grasp of those calling for gun control.

9. larrygrant876 says

I think the crime increase with these programs will be immediate because the, ” no questions asked”, part of them encourages those allready engaged in a criminal lifestyle to steal them from somewhere. I doubt the justice system would do much anyways since crime is what Holders DOJ encourages.