But let’s establish just a couple important facts before I toss out some random commentary on the subject.
- No federal programs are being eliminated;
- The “cuts” are, in fact, reductions from planned spending increases NOT year-over-year reductions in spending;
- The federal government as a whole, and every individual department, will spend more money this year under sequestration than they did last year;
- Not one federal employee has been laid off.
- The actual “spending cuts” due to the sequester would equal giving up one and one-half French fries from a Big Mac Combo Meal.
OK, now that that’s out of the way…
The Washington Post has an interesting article on the sequester along with some rough estimates by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) of amounts that will be “cut” from various departments. I’ve taken the liberty to pick-and-choose a few and my comments are in italics, not part of the original WaPo story.
- Border security is cut by about $581 million.
- Secretary Napolitano says the border has never been more secure so this one is no big deal!
- Immigration enforcement is cut by about $323 million.
- See above. It’s not like they’re releasing violent felons who also happen to be illegal aliens or anything.
- Airport security is cut by about $323 million.
- Well yeah, but they’ve got $50 million for new uniforms.
- Head Start gets cut by $406 million, kicking 70,000 kids out of the program.
- Good. The damn program is proven to not work. It’s a federal baby sitting service.
- FEMA’s disaster relief budget is cut by $375 million.
- I wonder if that includes the pork in the “Sandy” disaster relief bill to the tune of well over a $1 billion?
- Public housing support is cut by about $1.94 billion.
- Good. More please.
- The Energy Department’s program for securing our nukes is cut by $650 million.
- While the President is pissing away another $2 billion on “green energy.” The only thing “green” about the President’s program is the color of our money.
- State Department diplomatic functions are cut by $650 million.
- So, think we can expect more Benghazi’s?
I could go on, but I won’t.
But, I will note that yesterday the State Department announced that it would free up $500 million in blocked funds for the “Palestinians” and the Obama administration will seek another $200 million for them.
Priorities? We don’t got no stinking priorities!