Back in April, China warned North Korea not to “cross the point of no return”. Beijing urged North Korea to halt its illegal nuclear program. Of course, North Korea ignored that warning, It continued to conduct one nuclear test after another. Now, it’s looking as if North Korea had no intention or interest in defusing tensions with the United States or President Trump.
As tensions continue to rise, President Trump said Kim Jong-un will “truly regret it and will regret it fast” if he launches military action against Guam or any other US allies.
Following which, China warned the US and North Korea not to “play with fire” amid escalating tensions between the two countries. China said there must not be any armed conflict that could trigger a disaster.
Then, they issued President Trump a warning. A warning many may have not seen coming.
H/T Zero Hedge:
Beijing, through the state-owned media, cautioned the US president on Friday that it would intervene (militarily) on North Korea’s behalf if the US and South Korea launch a preemptive strike to “overthrow the North Korean regime,” according to a statement in the influential state-run newspaper Global Times.
China – North Korea’s most important ally and trading partner – has reiterated calls for calm during the current crisis. Beijing has expressed frustration with both Pyongyang’s repeated nuclear and missile tests and with behavior from South Korea and the United States, such as military drills, that it sees as escalating tensions.
“China should also make clear that if North Korea launches missiles that threaten U.S. soil first and the U.S. retaliates, China will stay neutral,” the Global Times, which is widely read but does not represent government policy, said in an editorial.
Meanwhile, as the North may be planning its next ICBM launch, the US is stepping up military exercises with Japan and South Korea.
US officials were also discussing coordinated contingency plans on Friday to formulate exactly how the allies would respond to an attack.
“South Korea’s national security adviser Chung Eui-yong and his U.S. counterpart H.R. McMaster spoke on the phone for 40 minutes early on Friday, a spokesman for the presidential Blue House in Seoul said. The two discussed responses to North Korean provocations and the security situation on the Korean peninsula, he said.”
Not surprisingly, analysts have compared the standoff between the two nuclear powers (the North is a recent, if untested, member of this club) to a modern day Cuban Missile crisis.
“This situation is beginning to develop into this generation’s Cuban Missile crisis moment,” ING’s chief Asia economist Robert Carnell said in a research note. “While the U.S. president insists on ramping up the war of words, there is a decreasing chance of any diplomatic solution.”
I highly doubt North Korea could be THAT stupid. One thing is for sure, Trump is NOT Obama. Kim Jong Un should clearly understand that by now, especially after Trump’s message to Syria and Afghanistan. Does the ‘Fatboy’ really want to play a game of ‘chicken’ with President Trump? Nuclear threats by anyone, especially North Korea are NOT going to be taken lightly by President Trump.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!
Trending on Joe for America
Sorry. No data so far.