NY Assemblyman David I. Weprin has introduced a bill that would let the state government decide what is allowed and not allowed online!
What has happened to this country? Guess what Weprin? The First Amendment wasn’t designed for puppy dogs and daffodils! Moron!
Under this bill, blogs, newspapers, scholarly works, copies of books on online, online encyclopedias would all have to be censored if a judge and jury found that the speech was “no longer material to current public debate or discourse”!
In a bill aimed at securing a “right to be forgotten,” introduced by Assemblyman David I. Weprin and (as Senate Bill 4561 by state Sen. Tony Avella), liberal New York politicians would require people to remove ‘inaccurate,’ ‘irrelevant,’ ‘inadequate’ or ‘excessive’ statements about others…
- Within 30 days of a ”request from an individual,”
- “all search engines and online speakers] shall remove … content about such individual, and links or indexes to any of the same, that is ‘inaccurate’, ‘irrelevant’, ‘inadequate’ or ‘excessive,’ ”
- “and without replacing such removed … content with any disclaimer [or]takedown notice.”
- “inaccurate’, ‘irrelevant’, ‘inadequate’, or ‘excessive’ shall mean content,”
- “which after a significant lapse in time from its first publication,”
- “is no longer material to current public debate or discourse,”
- “especially when considered in light of the financial, reputational and/or demonstrable other harm that the information … is causing to the requester’s professional, financial, reputational or other interest,”
- “with the exception of content related to convicted felonies, legal matters relating to violence, or a matter that is of significant current public interest, and as to which the requester’s role with regard to the matter is central and substantial.”
Failure to comply would make the search engines or speakers liable for, at least, statutory damages of $250/day plus attorney fees.
There should ALWAYS be only 3 people deciding what I can say or write. Me, Myself, and I!
ANYTIME you place someone in charge of what is free speech, you will always end up with censorship!
Sam Donaldson made me crazy as a teen. I would watch President Reagan say one thing and then watch Donaldson LIE LIKE A CHILD about what Reagan had said.
Chris Matthews makes me nuts! Rachel Maddow… WOW is she over the top with utter nonsense!
But I would stand with ALL THREE of them to the death to protect their right to free speech and press. They can say and report what they want, fake news or not. It is MY job to decide what is truth.
Social media is FULL of ad-hominem attacks against other persons online. BLOCK THEM! Do not let someone like Facebook or Google tread on freedom of speech. That is one of the foundational principles that has made this nation great!
Should offensive speech be banned? Where should we, as a society, draw the line where permitted speech is on one side, and forbidden speech is on the other? Should we even have that line? And should free speech be limited by things like trigger warnings and punishments for microaggressions? Greg Lukianoff, President of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, answers these questions and more.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!