DEVELOPING: All of Los Angeles’ public schools were closed Tuesday after a school board member received a threat that described detonating a bomb in a backpack and other packages in the schools, a government official confirms to Fox News.
They get threats ALL THE TIME, so this is different and unprecedented.
The threat apparently came from overseas via email late Monday, a law enforcement official told the Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity. Officials in Los Angeles called it a “credible terror threat.”
It was unclear which school board member received it, but the situation prompted the district to close all schools effective immediately, and order students and staff to stay away from all campuses. Police and the FBI were investigating, and the Department of Homeland Security was monitoring the situation, Fox News has learned.
LAUSD Superintendent Ramon Cortines addressed the media after all district schools were closed on Dec. 15, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)
Schools Superintendent Ramon Cortines said every school in the 640,000-student district would be searched. The district, the nation’s second-largest, includes more than 900 schools and 187 public charter schools. It covers Los Angeles as well as all or parts of 31 smaller municipalities and employs nearly 60,000 people.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!
Trending on Joe for America
Sorry. No data so far.