Charles Barkley, Sir Charles, has never been known for running away from a controversy. He ignited one with this statement about blacks, voting and Democrats.
When you’re right, you’re right.
Townhall provided a rundown on just how right Sir Charles is.
1) Overuse Of Welfare Programs: Americans are a generous people and most of us are fine with having a safety net that helps people who get down on their luck. The problem with liberals is that they do everything humanly possible to turn that safety net into a hammock.
Welfare destroys personal initiative and personal responsibility. It leads to generations withing families who’ve never held a job. It also leads to the disintegration of families because having a father in the house reduces the amount of welfare that “mom” can collect.
2) Supporting Illegal Immigrants Instead Of American Workers: While there are certainly Republicans who’ve been paid off by the business lobby to support illegal immigration, Democrats almost across the board are in favor of allowing as many illegal immigrants as possible into the country.
As the article notes, if illegals were taking jobs as journalists and college administrators our southern border would be sealed so tight a cockroach couldn’t get across. Unfortunately, they’re not. Illegals are taking entry level jobs at significantly lower pay than American workers. These jobs are the exit from the welfare system for US minorities so if they wanted to get off the welfare track 15 million illegal aliens taking their jobs makes it a virtual impossibility.
Democrats are protecting two voting blocks with their support of illegal immigration. Blacks will keep voting Democratic so they can continue to receive welfare and they hope Hispanics will vote Democratic to keep the highway from Mexico to the US open.
3) Fighting FOR Criminals, Not Victims: It’s a disgrace that there are Americans who can’t let their kids play in the yard out of fear of drug dealers on the corner, drive by shootings, and roaming gangs. Crime makes it harder to raise your kids, decreases property values, and stops people from moving freely around their neighborhoods. Rich and middle class Americans generally don’t have big problems with crime because they don’t have liberals “helping” them and so, they simply won’t tolerate it. So, it’s the poor Americans saddled with liberal “helpers” who suffer the most because of crime.
Most crime is committed in low income, inner-city neighborhoods. Guess who lives there? Minorities. Blacks are six times more likely than whites to commit a crime and over 90% of those crimes are committed against other minorities. By defending criminals and a culture of crime Democrats are putting minorities in a virtual prison where the bad guys run the neighborhood.
4) Fighting To Keep Poor Americans Out Of Good Schools: Liberals have fought hard to keep poor Americans in lousy, failing schools. It certainly doesn’t have to be that way.
Minorities and the poor in general live in the inner-cities. Guess where the worst (and most expensive) schools are. Yep, the inner-cities. Kids who graduate from high school in places like Chicago, Detroit, and Baltimore are functionally illiterate. They can’t read. They can’t do simple math. But their teachers, thanks to the NEA, cost the cities upwards of $100,000 per year. What do Democrats do? They block charter schools and whine that the NEA teachers aren’t paid enough. While the kids – and it’s always “for the kids” – are set-up for nothing but failure.
5) Killing Job Opportunities For The Poor: Ronald Reagan was spot-on when he said, “The best social program is a productive job for anyone who’s willing to work.” Yet, liberals work incessantly to make it harder for poor Americans to find jobs.
They raise the minimum wage to the point where it doesn’t make sense to hire a low-skilled worker. Walmart was planning to build six new super-stores in Washington DC. They would have been built in poor neighborhoods and would have given entry level jobs to thousands of DC residents who are now on welfare. They would have provided more inexpensive clothes and food to those inner-city residents who now don’t have any place to shop other than a convenience store. The DC council raised the minimum wage just for Walmart workers and Walmart decided to build their stores elsewhere.
The bottom line is that Democrats don’t give a damn about the poor. What they care about is keeping the poor, poor. They’re easier to control and they can be counted on to vote Democrat because Republicans are evil.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!