Gun free zones are mass killers favorite places. Gun free zones create a safe atmosphere for criminals, not law abiding citizens.
They can shoot all day and not have to worry about anybody shooting back.
That’s not going to be the case anymore in Michigan .
It seems that Michigan is about to pass legislation to help protect schools throughout the state along with many other places that were once gun free zones. Current Michigan law prohibits conceal carry permit holders to carry their concealed weapons at schools unless they are just dropping off or picking up their kids. They are also prohibited from day care centers, sporting arenas and stadiums, entertainment facilities with 2,500 or more seats, bars, churches, hospitals, casinos, college and university classrooms and dormitories. The two bill package would allow people with legal conceal carry permits to carry their concealed weapons in these places .
The bill will now go to the full Senate where Republicans hold a 27 to 11 margin over anti-Second Amendment Democrats. The Michigan House may be more of a fight because Democrats who hate the Constitution hold 46 seats to just 51 for Republicans.
All anyone has to do is look at the places where most mass shootings take place and then look at how many have been stopped or prevented because of someone being armed. I always like to ask gun control advocates two questions: 1- When is the last time you heard of a bar frequented by police being held up and 2- If gun free zones at schools are so safe, then why are there a minimum of 11 armed guards at the school where Obama’s girls attend?
That pretty much ends the discussion.
Hopefully, the Michigan Senate and House will pass these two bills and Republican Governor Rick Snyder will sign them into law. Michigan’s kids and families need to be protected from lunatics and the only real protection is to allow parents, teachers, faculty and others to carry their concealed weapons at all times.
All of the mass shootings Obama talks about were in gun free zones where American citizens are denied the right to protect themselves. Allowing citizens to carry guns to protect themselves is the foundation behind the Second Amendment and that foundation works:
- On Oct. 1, 1997, Luke Woodham went to his high school after killing his mom and began shooting. Assistant Principal Joel Myrick grabbed his .45 caliber handgun from his truck and confronted Woodham and stopped his murder spree before police arrived.
- On April 24, 1998, Parker Middle School was holding a dance at a local banquet hall when a 14 year old student opened fire with .25 caliber handgun. James Strand, owner of the hall used his shotgun that he kept there to stop the shooting and hold the student until police arrived.
- On Jan. 16, 2002, a former student started shooting at Appalachian School of Law, killing the dean, a professor and another student before being stopped by two law students who were also in law enforcement. They retrieved their weapons from their cars and apprehended the shooter and held him until police arrived.
- On Dec 9, 2007, a man opened fire with a Bushmaster AR-15 on parishioners at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. Earlier that day, the same man killed two and wounded two at the Young With a Mission training center in Arvada. Jeanne Assam, a former Minneapolis Police Officer had a concealed carry license and her gun was with her during the service at New Life Church. She pulled her weapon and shot the shooter, wounding him. He eventually shot himself, but her actions were credited with saving many lives before police arrived.
- On May 27, 2010, Donald J. Moore used his personal firearm to stop a mass shooting at an AT&T store in New York Mills, NY. The shooter had a list of employees he was going to kill, but only managed to wound one employee before Moore shot and killed him, all before the police arrived.
- On Aug. 30, 2010, Sullivan Central High School Resource Officer Carolyn Gudger drew her gun on a 62 year old man with gun. Using her body to shield a student, she held the shooter in a standoff for 10 minutes until police arrived.
- On March 25, 2012, Jessie Gates was observed getting a shotgun from his truck and heading to the door of Boiling Springs’ South Side Freewill Baptist Church in South Carolina. Aaron Guyton, grandson of the pastor, saw him and locked the door, but Gates kicked it in. Guyton then drew his conceal carry weapon and held Gates at gunpoint while two parishioners subdued him and the pastor disarmed him, all before police arrived.
- On Dec. 11, 2012, Nick Meli used his concealed carry weapon to stop a shooter at the Clackamas Town Center Mall near Portland, Oregon. The shooter killed two and wounded one before Meli confronted him. The shooter stopped shooting, withdrew to a service elevator and then shot himself, before police arrived.
- On April 30, 2014, a construction foreman in Austin, Texas used his legally licensed conceal carry weapon to stop a former employee who showed up and started shooting. The foreman wounded the shooter and saved lives after being wounded himself, before police arrived.
- On May 16, 2014, an armed gunman entered the emergency room at Cache Valley Hospital in Logan, Utah. He demanded to see a doctor and then cocked one of his two handguns and said someone was going to die. A hospital security guard did his best to calm and distract the gunman. Two correction officers happened to be present and were able to confront the gunman from a different direction. The gunman was shot three times and no one else at the hospital was injured. All before police arrived.
- On July 25, 2014, a patient entered the psychiatric clinic at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA. He shot his case worker before pistol whipping his doctor Lee Silverman. As the man left to go shoot more people, Dr. Silverman pulled out his conceal carry handgun and shot the man three times. He was hailed by local police for saving other lives before police had a chance to arrive.
Needless to say, “educators” are uniformly in opposition to the bill, and that’s more than enough for me to support it.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!