If you missed it, on Sunday, the LAPD shot and killed a black, homeless man who was resisting arrest. We’re expecting riots and a real effort to burn LA to the ground on behalf of the various victim classes represented by the dead guy. The only saving grace here might be that the cop who shot him, at least one of the cops that shot him, is black. But he is a cop.
Here’s the cell phone video from the scene. WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC. A MAN IS SHOT TO DEATH. THE LANGUAGE IS ALSO VERY ROUGH.
Here are the facts so far.
- Police responded to a robbery call in the vicinity.
- The subject of the video apparently had nothing to do with that call.
- When the police arrived the subject of the video was reportedly involved in a fight with another man.
- LAPD used a Taser on him initially, to no effect.
- The man was obviously resisting arrest, fighting six LAPD officers.
- In the video it appears that the subject is attempting to take an officer’s gun.
- It appears that the officers thought he had a gun. You can hear (at about about 0:19) someone yelling “Drop the gun!”
- It looks like the immediate crowd doesn’t think he had a gun.
- At least one of the LAPD officers was wearing a body cam.
The LAPD had better get out in front on this. The video embedded here has had well over two million hits on YouTube before we found it and if you’ve listened to the audio, you know that the person making the video is absolutely convinced that the man was “murdered” by LAPD. He also wasn’t impressed in the least by the fact that apparently a black officer was the shooter.
Hopefully there will be more video of the incident that will give us another look at what happened. We’ll also get an idea whether police body cams are worth anything.
We’re following the story and will update you when more information becomes available. In the meantime, if you live in LA, buy marshmallows.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!