By John Hawkins
Racism used to mean hating someone because of his race.
Today, 99 times out of 100 in politics, the word “racist” is used purely for political reasons without any regard to whether something bigoted was actually said.
That doesn’t mean that racism doesn’t exist. It CERTAINLY DOES and sometimes it’s right out in the open, like the Left’s “Black Americans are way too stupid and incompetent to get voter ID like all the other races” canard. But, if we were to define “racism” as offensive statements about someone of another race that wouldn’t be automatically excused if Joe Biden, Harry Reid, or Bill Clinton said them, then there’s so little “racism” in politics that it’s barely worth mentioning.
Yet, the accusations of “racism” never seem to stop. Why? Because when liberals cry “racism,” they don’t really mean racism. They mean….
1) You disagree with me: “The Republican Party is racist.” “Sarah Palin is racist.” There’s a famous Tea Party sign that reads, “It doesn’t matter what this sign says. You’ll call it racism anyway!” Why are these people and groups racist? They JUST ARE. “Everybody” knows it. In other words, liberals believe they can’t be racist by virtue of being liberal; so people or groups that oppose them must be “racist” by default. It’s about as intellectual as a five year old calling someone a “poopy head,” but it’s how they think.
2) I need more attention and/or money: There are an awful lot of people in the Democrat Party who make a living calling people “racist.” Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Melissa Harris-Perry, Toure, Joy Reid, Eric Dyson, the NAACP, Tavis Smiley, Cornell West and Ben Jealous rely on finding new and intriguing ways to accuse people of bigotry to fill their pockets and get in front of cameras. If they couldn’t find enough things to call “racist,” they’d be nobodies and worse yet, some of them might have to get real jobs instead of pretending to be offended for a living.
3) Let’s take a choice away from black Americans: No group in Congress does less to make the lives of its constituents better than the Congressional Black Caucus. Furthermore, no ethnic group in America has been more loyal to a political party with less to show for it than black Americans. So how can it be that the Democrat Party has been an absolute disaster for black Americans, yet it can count on 90% of the black vote every election? Simple; liberals have falsely convinced black Americans that Republicans hate them. That means no matter how bad it gets, Republicans can’t even be considered as an option. This is how Democrats have managed to utterly destroy cities like Detroit without the populace even considering the Republican Party as an option.
4) You are disagreeing with a minority: The last thing any liberal wants is to argue an issue on its merits. Is it logical? Does it work? Is the benefit worth the cost? These things have NOTHING to do with why liberals support a position. So, one of the many ways they try to get people off track is to accuse any white person arguing with a minority of being racist. This is a neat trick, given that roughly 70% of Hispanic Americans and 90% of black Americans vote Democrat. Maybe Republicans should adopt this one and start accusing liberals who disagree with Allen West, Ben Carson and Ted Cruz of being racists.
5) Your attack is damaging us: When Republicans hit Democrats with any kind of damaging attack, it is inevitably called “racist.” For example, this is how formerMSNBC host Martin Bashir could say something as crazy as, “Republicans are using [the IRS scandal]as their latest weapon in the war against the black man in the White House. ‘IRS’ is the new ‘N****r.’” It’s an attempt to shut Republicans up.
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!
Trending on Joe for America
Sorry. No data so far.