– 350,000 times a year, a gun is used in commission of a crime, just present, not necessarily fired or even brandished (*1)
– 2,500,000 times a year, guns are used to stop a crime (*2)
– Guns are used for to stop crime 7 times more than to commit crime (2,500,000 / 350,000 = 7.143)
– Of the guns that were used in a crime, only 16% were legally owned (*3)
– 16% of 350,000 = 56,000 times a year that a legal gun owner uses their gun to commit a crime
– There are an estimated 80,000,000 legal gun owners in the US who own 300,000,000 guns (*4)
– 56,000 / 80,000,000 = 0.07% of legal gun owners use their gun to commit a crime
– 0.07% is so statistically insignificant, if you were to round it to whole numbers it would be a zero
– According to the UCR, there were 8,583 firearm homicides in 2011
– Of those 8,583 homicides, 398 were justifiable homicide by law enforcement (*5)
– Of the 8,583 firearm homicides in 2011, 323 were done so with a rifle (*6)
– Of those 323 rifle homicides, 19 were justifiable homicide by law enforcement, thus 304 remain
– 304 x 0.07% = .21
– So, mathematically speaking, an “assault weapon” ban, at its very most effective, could save .21 lives, which last I checked is less than the “just one life” the gun grabbing politicians keep throwing around
It is really so much simpler than that though. Law abiding gun owners are not the threat. Newark Mayor Cory Booker gets it. Taking guns from law abiding citizens is not going to affect gun crime rates. Here is footage of him talking about that on HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher.
Politicians, liberals and the anti-gun crowd want to ban the sale of many new guns, some even want to take the guns already out there, from all law abiding citizens, based on the actions of a HUGELY insignificant percentage of law abiding gun owners (0.07%). Basing any action on a 0.07% chance of being right is so far beyond stupid, even politicians should be able to see it as such. It is not as if they do not have access to these statistics, and its not as if no one has argued these facts to them. Since they are still going after our guns, it leads to me to believe they have other motives behind their call to ban firearms.
*1 – That statistic was pulled from articles and videos done by several researchers, but I do not know where they got it. From the 2011 FBI Uniform Crime Report (UCR), guns were reportedly used in robberies, aggravated assaults and murders 274,784 times. It is quite possible that their more in depth review of the UCR revealed other crimes that invovled firearms.
*2 – According to Gary Kleck, Ph.D. professor in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee and author of “Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America”
*3 – According to the FBI stats during the Brady Bill debate in the 80’s, “11 out of 13 gun murders were committed by ILLEGALLY possessed firearms.” 11 out of 13 works out to 84%. That means less then 16% of gun murders are done by persons LEGALLY owning the weapon used. More recent studies by various sources all return approximately the same percentage, varying from 10-16% of criminals using guns obtained their guns legally.
*4 – Widely used numbers given by various sources. These numbers are listed citing various sources for the data in the “Ownership” section of this website: http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
*5 – I cannot find in the UCR where they list how many of the homicides were justifiable by private citizens, they only enumerate those by law enforcement
*6 – The FBI does not break the rifle category down and thus it is unknown how many of those were with an “assault rifle” or with some other rifle
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!