Yup, higher murder rate, higher pay. I’m kidding about the title, but then it’s hard not to go there…
I see unions as always are totally “getting” that whole merit pay thing. The city faces a “looming pension crisis” according to The Godfather, Mayor Rahm Emanuel, and the murder rate has gone up 16% in the last year. So naturally, the Fraternal Order of Police thought now was a great time to ask for a raise for local cops.
When I say “ask for a raise”, I mean it in the union sense, naturally. Check it:
- 12% raise over 2 years – about the national average these days, right?
- pay less for health insurance – because ObamaCare has everyone else paying less.
- increase uniform allowance to $2100 annually – For beat cops only? Nope.
- reduce number of merit-based promotions from 20% to 10% – because….ok, why do unions hate merit-based promotions?
- $3000 annual stipend for living in Chicago – perhaps they win this one with the ‘hazard pay’ argument.
- reach top pay by 20 years instead of 25 years – meaning the raises come even faster.
- retire squad cars and all other police vehicles after 90K miles – Really? When was the last time you heard of a non-union-built car that didn’t go at least 180K miles before it became maintenance-heavy? I think the answer was in the question.
Union president Michael Shields said the union
demands requests were “realistic”.
Isn’t he cute?
Sign up to get alerts from Joe!
Trending on Joe for America
Sorry. No data so far.